Stinson Community Association December Meeting
11 April, 2019 7-9 pm
Central Memorial Recreation Centre, 93 West Ave. S.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Land acknowledgement: Eleni Jalbout
Mission, Vision & Values: Joe, Constanza, Laurie (respectively)
In Attendance: Margaret; Anne, Joe, Olinda, Trevor, Jessica, Lindsay Fraser (Green Party for Hamilton Centre), Cathy, Ben, Constanza, Laurie, Juliana, Eleni, Ute
Introductions & February Minutes Approved: Olinda motioned; Laurie seconded; Joe abstained.
1. Trevor & Jessica from the Metrolinx LRT Project
Introduction (Margaret): Stinson will be impacted so we wanted Metrolinx here. Hopefully this will be ongoing during construction.
Trevor: 2010 – original Environmental Assessement (2013 – was submission “Rapid Ready)
Ø 2015 – the announcement ofv$1 Billion is coming our way.
Ø 2016-17 – an addendum to original Environmental Assessment – community
connectors out 2 times a year, plus at several festivals each summer.
Bid proposals by 3 consortiums
- Ø Design build operate maintain and finance
- Ø Last week – minister of transportation gave the green light
- Ø Today: in the budget “Hamilton LRT”
- Ø Takes a year to get bids together.
- Ø Chosen bidder will be awarded.
- Ø Construction – 2021 (some starts in 2020) with a duration of 4 to 5yearstraffic study in lower city (from Escarpment to Waterfront; Dundas to Stoney Creek).
- Ø were conservative with the model. Does LRT change that trajectory?
- Ø Ripple effects and traffic infiltration into all streets. Any east-west street willhave increased traffic.
o City’s Traffic Safety can speak to these changes; Stinson is a bus route.Margaret: We just want to ensure there’s a conversation around how the streets
will be taken care of. What are the opportunities to plan for Stinson?
Trevor: Many opportunities to affect traffic flow.
- Ø LRT is unknown for how traffic will flow. Talk to your counselor
- Ø Presentation – councilors can push staff to act. We don’t even know wherethey’re starting construction.
- Ø Construction liaison committees will be formed and in touch with NAS.Sections can only be shut down for a year. Local traffic is always allowed in and out. Diversions and always North–South roads open. They work directly with each and every business.
- Ø Underground infrastructure work is such a big part of construction. Areas of King will be expanded (the “right of way”)
Noise and vibration: Provincial standards and municipal standards.2. Juliana Lachance, Hamilton Artist on mural discussion
- Ø Mural on a private place.
- Ø Funds from HCF had to be spent my Mar. 31
- Ø Impacts on laneways (opportunity to put art in the lanes andneighbourhood)
- Ø Juliana: spent $249.70 on paint
- Ø Location has NOT been finalized; we just had to spend money on materialsbefore deadline. Let’s continue conversation around a mural.Showed her sketch and colour inspiration. Margaret showed locations (ex: side of building on Main and Erie “Alpha Bee”)Ø Rough idea: one week’s labour
Mural Committee: Eleni, Olinda, Laurie (Cathy – maybe); Eleni will email to stay incontact. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Committees:1) Development:
Olinda: no updates; emails sent around to plan a meeting and that never happened. No communication from Karl; nothing done. On Monday, Cameron is leading a meeting.
Margaret: Stinson people should meet and discuss.
- Ø no plots; will be shared. If people do want to rent plots, they haven’t heard back.
- Ø perennial shrubs. B
- Ø biggest issues was accessing water. Lockbox on it now, and people doinggarden will get code and water freely.
- Ø Tools will be in there.
- Ø Compost will be delivered and soil. Have to purchase soil – city is droppingoff soil.**Margaret: lots of soil was left behind. Karl, Christina and Tina said it was going to be sold. Where has the 1000s dollars worth of soil gone? “ProMix vegetable soil”. Fertilizer was sent. **Garden Dates:
April 13: park cleanup and garden help. 10-2 pm.
May 11: compost being delivered; getting beds readyMay 10, 11, 12: farmers’ seedling sale @ Mustard SeedMay 18: hopefully plantingØ Facebook page started: Laurie will email me stuff to email out.Ø Constanza: Sign made for garden
Ø Rain barrel type apparatus (idea in the works)3) Treasurer’s Report: Margaret gave it (Tim was away)
- $1,800 of unmarked
- Ø *Salesforce funds maybe coming in*
- Ø Earth Hour event was cancelled (money was supposed to be sent; Margaretasked Lorraine to use it for Park Clean-up)
- Ø Cathy: apple cider, hot chocolate and coffee $100 (Margaret motioned; Cathyseconded; everyone in favour (2 abstained)Community Events:Park Cleanup: April 13
Escarpment Cleanup: April 19 (TBA)
Easter Egg Hunt: April 20, 1-3 at Carter Park (revised: was moved to April 21 due to inclement weather on the Saturday)
Beautiful Alley/ CN / Track Gang: April 27, 10-12
Jane’s Walk: May 3, 4, & 5
Doors Open Hamilton: May 3, 4, & 5
Spring Cleanup: May 11 (woodchips and stuff for garden)Movie Night: Rec Centre (tentative)
100 in 1 Day – June 1
Ø Dave organizing “Sing Your Heart Out in Nature” for Rail Trail
Ø Hamilton Moves intervention (little promo messages during 100 in 1 Day)Bike Fair: June 15
Ø Tim did poster
Ø need volunteers; sponsors; gifts (businesses get marketing)
CP Rail – Corktown and Stinson (June 22) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Margaret: Truck Route
- Ø Important that we aren’t delegating to city hall without approval of residents.We wanted to support Beasely.
- Ø We will circulate and will avoid doing this by discussing in future meetings.
- Ø Highlights much of what we discussed in LRT.Eleni: St Leonard’s Society: award given to Stinson. Displayed in case downstairs rec centre.Mailout: Rates are changing as of April 9th – couldn’t give us quote.~~~~~~~ Close of Meeting ~~~~~~~