Stinson Community Association
Meeting Minutes for March 14, 2013
Attendees: Ben Babcock, Christina Babcock, Elisabeth Brown, Katherine Dymkowski, Brian Goodman, Matt Grande, Matthew Hall, Dawn McIlmoyle, Lee McIImoyle, Devon Mordell, Ralph Meiers, Farmina Syed, Natasha Murphy, Mike Montreuil, Greg Reader, Karl Ozols, Julie Lewis, Bill Mehlenbacher.
Meeting was Chaired by Katherine Dymkowski and Brian Goodman.
The Agenda was reviewed with 1 new items added – an announcement from 467 Charlton Resident Group.
Minutes of last meeting February 14th 2013 was reviewed by members and approved and passed.
Treasurer Report – 1 new deposit made. This was a membership fee.
Introduction of Cst. Claus Wagner, Area Crime Prevention Officer for Division 1 Cst. Wagner spoke about Community Policing Centres, and reviewed citizen programs that are available.
Cst. Wagner takes care of the policing centres and said the centre that now services Stinson Community is Robert Land. Free programs such as “the clothing swap”, “walk it and lose it”, “Red light runners” are available for residents to apply to at this location. Auxiliary officers are trained volunteers for “Child find”, and other community programs. All Auxiliary officers are volunteers that have preformed the required training after applying.
“Red light Runners” and other traffic programs allows residents to apply for equipment such as digital road speed signs, speed guns or an officer presence for review of traffic violations such as speeding, stop sign and red sign running.
Cst Wagner mentioned that currently there is a feasibility review of community policing centers and the possibility of one main building down tone. One reason being reviewed is there isn’t a lot of in house poling anymore.
This was followed by a Q and A. The open discussion that followed with Cst. Wagner addressed various topics that were brought up by our attending members.
What is the role of an area crime manager? Area Crime Manager looks at street level crime and target priority areas. They use “intelligent policing”
There is an area that a resident identified as having suspicious activity, because they believe it is because of how the property is boarded up and seemingly forgotten. What is done about that? Cst. Wagner recalls an experience that when police respond those responsible for the activity tend to scatter. It is through notifying police and the police responding, as well as developing strategies, working with surrounding businesses in these strategies that eventually that activity should diminish or stop.
A questions was asked about the potential of new Community Policing Centre and it’s location. It was commented that the location being looked into would be as central as possible to the areas currently being serviced in the downtown that can house community meeting, etc…and if an area location along Barton St is the Best location.
It was brought up by a resident that the area around Tisdale particularly in the summer has loud pedestrian traffic and possible drug activity. We are all encouraged to contact the police if it is drug activity, graffiti in progress or a crime requiring immediate response always contact Emergency 911. Otherwise non emergencies should be reported to the dispatch non emergency telephone number.
Introduction of Amber Aquin – Y on Wheels Coordinator
The Y on Wheels Program mobilizes services from the YMCA and brings them out, free of charge, into the community. This program is based directly on what the community residents want and needs. Amber spoke about a new program that has received 3 years of funding from a soon to be announced sponsor. Amber encourages Stinson residents to contact her about what activities that they want to see in their community. Some examples were, Fitness or Yoga for adulta or children in the park, summer programming all ideas are welcome.
There was a Q and A that followed with an open discussion.
It was asked by a resident where can adults go for exercise and is accessible for someone who wants something more structured. Amber suggested contacting the YMCA and asking them about memberships and programs. It was also mentioned that “live well programs” or “Gentle fit programs” area available and membership can be made geared to income if the applicant qualifies. Some of our members offered to follow-up with the YMCA on the residents behalf.
Amber mentioned that a visioning exercise is the easiest way to help identify programming interests and encouraged us to follow up with her and set something up with the Recreation Center Program director if our residents were interested in Free summer programming or day camps.
There was a short Break
ADDED: Announcement from 467 Charlton Resident Committee. Matt Grande announced that a public meeting regarding the development was to be had March 25th at Central Memorial Recreation Center starting at 7pm. The developer and his consultants as well as invited guests from the City of Hamilton will be there to comment and answer questions.
Katherine Dymkowski announced the Easter Egg Hunt happening at Carter Park March 30th starting at 1:30. All volunteers were asked if they were available for the day before for a review and clean up. Volunteers were asked to come out at least one hour before the event to help with set up. Volunteers were also asked if they could help distribute flyers
Mike Montreuil gave an update about the Team Up To Clean Up. Rally time at carter park will be 8:30 for sign in and brief orientation. Discussion followed about trailer drop off time being confirmed. Brian Goodman introduced some of the volunteers in the past from 70 West who have come out and helped with sign ups and clean up in the carter park. Mike through Brian will follow-up with the house staff to co-ordinate their help again.
Implementation Committees gave updates to their progress and next steps.
Group Working on the Rail Trail agreed to break and meet up in a year given recent announcement of City improvements to the overpass.
Ralph spoke about group B’s nest steps and input was asked from members about what they would like to see included with the Association new page. Examples of Updated photo’s of the community, a community calendar and a more vibrant website.
History Group met on Tuesday March 5th to discuss visioning and strategy on how to proceed. A workshop in identifying landmarks will be attended on April 12th by group members. Maggie has also spoken with McMaster and the students working to research Hamilton’s history for assistance.
Group A -CPR- Continues to work on the Mural, with criteria and wording being reviewed by the City of Hamilton’s legal department and involved departments. A walk around Carter park with a landscape Designer to review the park plan at which time it will be brought up that an investigation into reclaiming Young St between West and Victoria is possible. This would address multiple concerns with that area of the park and safety of crossing being reviewed currently by the committee looking into walk ability and roads crossing, and ways to beautify Stinson Neighbourhood.
The next meeting will be Thursday, April 11, 2013